When Seasons Changes, You Can't Do Things The Same Way.

"Wait A Minute, Why Isn't This Working Anymore?" 

This was the question that I asked myself this week. Granted we just went through a crazy 3 week period, but we have been home for a full week now and things should be back to "normal" by now.

So I stopped for a second and asked myself why nothing was working, Naps, School, Cleaning it was all a big mushy mess, much like our lawn out side.


Then it hit me the seasons are changing not just outside but inside of our home as well. As I have learned from past experiences when this happens it detrimental to stop what I am doing and re-evaluate. I have tried to ignore the changes before and just push my adult size schedule on my children and found that the only results were a crabby and tired mommy.

Since then I have skirt-tailed the craziness when it comes to change with the following 3 steps.

Observe

When I finally realized that something was askew.  I grab a cup of coffee, sit down with my journal, and make notes on the things that aren't working. Then I ask myself where I can rearrange my daily essentials in to a new format so everything gets done each day. Dishes, Diapers, Laundry, School and so on. I consider many different options for an example maybe it's a season where house keeping needs to take a back sit to time outside and exploring for home school. I even taken time to ask myself are my essentials really essentials?

Alter

Figure out what in your daily life are your anchors this for us are meals, snack times and at the moment Williams (my youngest) naps.  Taking your anchors into consideration figure out what works best for your kids, not you! I know this is a strong statement. However, while your children are in your home you have a small window to show them that you like God himself are here to build a relationship with them, be their helper and comforter, provider, and a source of Love not dictation. Then Grab a Chalkboard, Marker board, or paper and pen and write down your new ADJUSTABLE schedule.

Tweak

Remember 2 Things

1.) Life and Kids are unpredictable.
2.) The only person you can control is yourself.

"Speak Lord For Your Servant Is Listening"


These are the very reason why a mother never carvers anything into stone. Be prepared to tweak your schedule, goals, and ideals. As time goes on you will see what works best for YOUR family and what doesn't. Each house hold is unique and a unique house hold can't fit in to a mold. I struggled with grasping this concept for a LONG time. It took burning out to finally through my hands up in the air and say "I give up" I couldn't hold myself to the social standard that was around any longer. I needed to enjoy my life and like myself.

One last quick note.

Don't over think it, There is no absolute "right" way. Yes you can always be doing more, but if the more stress you out and steals the peace from your home it's not worth.

Take everything in stride, because before you know it the seasons will change!

Comments