Staging

 



A year and a half ago we went through the process of selling our own home. 


Now, as a real estate agent, you would think that I would have a method already in place, something like: “How to sell your home gracefully.” Oh what a New York seller book that would be. 


Here is the deal, when it comes to selling your home the whole transaction is full of uncertainty.

I say this because no matter how well you plan, how beautifully you stage your home, or how many tools your agent puts in place for you to make your transition as smooth as possible, there WILL inevitably be moments of improvisation. 


I kept asking myself how in the world am I going to keep my home show ready while caring for our family of 8? I might as well be on a reality TV show! Because honestly that is what it felt like. You are trying to show everyone who walks into your home the highlights. How everything has its place and every place has a purpose. (in a whisper) Even the junk drawer. 


The truth is the only person you can control is yourself. And when you sell your home, you invite a whole lot of people into your life that you have never met before. I am not talking about your team. ( agent, title, lender and so on) . No, I am talking about the people who will be traipsing through your personal space with a critical eye, be it in the flesh or via the multi listing service. 


When it all boils down to it, the season of showing your home isn’t real life, but we trick ourselves and others into believing that the persona we are trying to convey is real and tangible. 



One of my favorite movies is Leap Year. The main character Anna played by Rachel Adams is a real estate stager. She describes what she does for a career to her co-lead actor Declan played by Matthew Goode. The scene unfolds as follows: 


Anna:

I stage apartments.


Declan:

Stage apartments, huh? E... what's that?


Anna:

Well, when someone is selling an apartment or home, I bring stuff in and make it look as beautiful as I can.


Declan:

And they get to keep all the stuff when they buy it?


Anna:

No, I take it away. I'm just presenting them with the possibilities. I put a sheen on it.


Declan:

Hang on. So you do a job, yeah?


Anna:

Yeah.


Declan:

They buy the house, yeah?


Anna:

Yeah.


Declan:

And then you come along and you take all the stuff away again.


Anna:

Yeah.


Declan:

You're a con artist.


Where in our lives are we conning ourselves? Life is messy, it’s unpredictable, and the truth is no matter how much we try to believe that we do, we have very little control. I am not writing this to discourage anyone or burst anyone's bubble.


I am writing this to bring you freedom. Freedom to shift your time and energy into being present, and interactive with your life that is unfolding around you. Instead of attempting to manage other people's perspective of you. To free you to become the real life version of yourself instead of the show ready version you think other people will accept.


So thus will be my opening paragraph of my future top selling book, someday, 


How To Sell Your Home Gracefully  


“ If you are selling your home, it is best to let go of all your preconceived notions of what it will be like and buckle up; you are in for a wild ride. Once you prepare yourself for all the twists and turns that may come you will be able to expect the unexpected. And may, even enjoy the roller coaster ride that is selling your home.”





Join our Buyer 101 or Seller 101 Class.                                     Learn about our family                                                                                                             devotional                                                                                                                  Foundation Of Character 
                                      

Comments