Does Size Really Matter?

 We have moved a lot in our lives, we have lived in big homes, small homes, homes on wheels, and even in my in-laws basement. One thing I have observed over all those years and all those moves is that no matter how big of a home or space we live in. 90% of the time even when an innumerable of options are set before my children, they will choose to be within my eye-line.

The last home we lived in had 2400 square feet and a huge back yard. The children had large rooms in which to play in. And yet whatever they chose to play they would drag the toy into whichever room of the home I was currently presiding and play at my feet. I even had times where I would switch rooms to tackle another task and they would pause their play, drag it to the new location and continue on in their play there. 




They were not experiencing separation anxiety. During that season I was still a stay at home homeschooling mom. They just wanted to be with me, near me, be with me where I was. I was their safe place, their comfort zone. 


One of the main search items when it comes to home shopping is square feet. I will hear statements all the time like:


“All the kids have to have their own room.”

“I want a separate room I can do crafts in.”

“I want a man cave.” 

“I need a big garage so I can escape too.” 





As an introvert-extrovert I totally get the need to have time and space away to recharge. I know there is great value in self care. You can’t pour from an empty cup. But I think it is really important to make sure our lines don’t become grayed. If we are not careful sometimes our self care can turn into isolation. What I mean is that we start by looking for solitude to regroup, re energize, refresh. But we tend to wait too long and miss our internal ques and instead of going to solitude with intention. We go into isolation in response to a circumstance. And what we are really looking for while in that place is not refreshing but to disconnect to detach ourselves from our lives. 


 


In addition to this our children are always watching us. If our children watch us take good self care of ourselves they will learn to do the same. If our children watch us daily, take time to read and pray and fill ourselves up with life-giving things, they will know that this can be their source as well. However, if our children watch us escape and detach and look to vices to help us coop with the pressures of life. Reacting instead of being proactive they too will learn to do the same. Thus creating teenagers who don’t talk to us and hide in their rooms scrolling social media trying to detach from their problems, but instead growing deeper in comparison. 


Does size really matter? The answer is Yes. 



🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿
More Of The Pollard Tribe
🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿🌿



Home School Consulting 


Pollard Tribe Realty





Comments