People 1st, Things 2nd


After I became a mom, my type A personality took a major beating. This all had to do with the fact that unlike my daily to do list, my children were and still are unpredictable. Their attitudes, emotions, likes and dislikes, eating habits, sleeping habits the list could go on forever. My perfectionist ways were stretched and tested in this area for several years. Until, one day I was visiting with a friend of mine and she shared a story with me that changes my perspective.

Her story was about a time when she had coffee with another mom that she really looked up to. During their visit the mother had several interruptions by her children needing her assistance. My friend, growing annoyed herself, asked the mother, “How can you stay so calm and sweet? If my kids kept interrupting me I would become irritated.” The mother said to my friend, “Let me ask you a question. Let’s say you were at work, ticking away at your daily docket and your boss walked into your office and said to you, listen, I need you to put aside what you are working on, and address this crucial matter right away. What would you say to your boss?” My friend answered simply, “I would say, yes sir, and start to work on it immediately!” The mother asked her, “Would you get mad about it?” My friend said, “Of course not I trust my boss' judgement on what is most important for our company.” The mother then replied with, “Well you see being a mom is the job that God has given me in this season of my life. He is my boss and my children are my work. I do not get mad, because I trust that God is directing me in my daily encounters with my children for the optimal potential for growth. If I don’t do my job as God directs me, then I haven’t done my job well. Even though the situation at hand might not look that important to me it is to my "clients", my children. If I don’t invest in them they may stop coming to me for advice, wisdom and guidance, and I will soon be out of a job.”  
This perspective had a huge impact on me and shortly after hearing it I adopted a new motto into our family. The motto is; People 1st, Things 2nd. The basic idea of it is exactly as it sounds. We have committed ourselves to valuing people before things. I have chosen, to make myself available to invest in my kids, in people, in things that are eternal before I invest in things or in stuff that does not last. I had come to a point in losing my life as I knew it, so I could find it. (Matt. 10:39) In this, I had to be careful not to make my children my life, but rather to make my life about pointing my children to the Lord. After I made this commitment in my daily life and walked it out ungracefully for some time. God spoke to my heart and He showed me He was so pleased with my little yes. He was pleased with my determination to be obedient even though I faltered and through all the missteps along the way. I knew that because of my faithfulness in this little thing, He was going to give me more. (Luke 16:10)

When I chose to be Flexible, God was finally able to use me to make an impact for His Kingdom. Are you ready to be flexible to make yourself available? Starting with your kids is an awesome training ground. Pray with me today. Lord, turn my heart towards my children and help me see on a daily basis how I can go to them and make them disciples after your heart!



Great Encouragement For Your Journey!

The Ministry Of Motherhood 
The Mission Of Motherhood
Loving Your Kids On Purpose












Foundation Of Character 
Children's Devotional 



Related Blog-Post Series 

Introduction: The Value Of A Parent


Comments